Carbon resource
conversion
to X products
World Coal To X World Coal To X World Coal To X

Syngas for DRI

DRI (Direct Reduced Iron) is a solid form of elemental iron produced by reducing iron oxide to remove the oxygen and leave only elemental iron.

The DRI reducing reactions are:
– Fe2O3 + 3 H2 → 2 Fe + 3 H2O
– Fe2O3 + 3 CO → 2 Fe + 3 CO2
These reactions are conducted at 800 – 900°C, which is below the melting point of iron (1536°C or 2797°F).

A blast furnace is the primary competitive option to making elemental iron. In a blast furnace, iron oxide is reduced at high temperature to make a liquid form of elemental iron.

Advantages of Syngas for DRI:
• Low quality feedstocks, such as low rank coal, can be used for gasification while blast furnaces require coking coal, a high quality feedstock.
• DRI plants have significant turndown capabilities, while blast furnaces do not
• Gasification+DRI is much more environmentally friendly than a blast furnace.

In 2015, DRI production is about 5% of the total global iron production (blast furnaces produce remaining 95%).

Syngas for DRI - DO'15 Angul DRI

Syngas for DRI in Angul, Orissa, India. Photo courtesy of Jindal Steel & Power Ltd.

Syngas for DRI - D10'15 Saldanha Bay DRI

Syngas for DRI in Saldanha Bay, South Africa. Photo courtesy of ArcelorMittal South Africa

This article has benefited the major contribution of Midrex, USA

Similar pages of World CTX website deal with Coal to Liquid Fuels, Coal to ChemicalsCoal to SNG and Low Rank Coal Pyrolysis.

Your comments on this page will be welcomed: please write to management2016@worldctx.com.